Flashing of the Extreme Networks WS-AP3825i

Preparations

Put the initramfs file in the root of a TFTP Server which listens on 192.168.1.66/24. You can get one from downloads.openwrt.org:

downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mpc85xx/p1020/openwrt-mpc85xx-p1020-extreme-networks_ws-ap3825i-initramfs-kernel.bin

Rename the file to ws-ap3825i-initramfs.bin

For Linux this could something like the following:

# create a temporary directory and enter it:
cd $(mktemp -d)

# dowload the initramfs:
curl https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mpc85xx/p1020/openwrt-mpc85xx-p1020-extreme-networks_ws-ap3825i-initramfs-kernel.bin -o ws-ap3825i-initramfs.bin

# start a tftp server which serves from the current location
sudo dnsmasq -d --enable-tftp --port 0 --tftp-root $(pwd)

Flashing

uboot

Connect a Cisco Style RJ45 Serial Cable to the AP. The Baud Rate is 115200.

# only an example, your actual serial connection might be mounted elsewhere
picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0

Now power the AP and connect your computer to LAN2.

Wait until Scanning JFFS2 FS: appears, press ENTER once.

Login with the following credentials:

Default Username: admin
Default Password: new2day

If those credentials don’t work let the AP boot and press the reset Button for more then 5 Seconds. That should reset the AP and restore the default settings.

Boot (PRI)-> should appear, now copy paste the following one line at a time:

setenv ramboot_openwrt "setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.22; setenv serverip 192.168.1.66; tftpboot 0x2000000 ws-ap3825i-initramfs.bin; interrupts off; bootm start 0x2000000; bootm loados; fdt resize; fdt boardsetup; fdt resize; fdt boardsetup; fdt chosen; fdt resize; fdt chosen; bootm prep; bootm go;"

setenv boot_openwrt "cp.b 0xEC000000 0x2000000 0x2000000; interrupts off; bootm start 0x2000000; bootm loados; fdt resize; fdt boardsetup; fdt resize; fdt boardsetup; fdt chosen; fdt resize; fdt chosen; bootm prep; bootm go;"

setenv bootcmd "run boot_openwrt";

saveenv

run ramboot_openwrt

The AP should now boot the initramfs OpenWRT Image.

Additional Infos

If you messed something up a reset reboots the AP.
With printenv you can print all print environment variables.
If there are multiple entries of a Variable a setenv VARIABLE_NAME should clear it.

Ram Boot

Once your booted, transfer the sysupgrade Image to /tmp on the router via scp:

scp -O ./gluon-ffda-2.5-extreme-networks-ws-ap3825i-sysupgrade.bin root@192.168.1.1:/tmp/sysupgrade.bin

wget, or another way you can think of.

Verifiy with sha256sum to check if the Image is still intact.

Flash the sysupgrade Image with the following command:

sysupgrade -n sysupgrade.bin

The AP should now reboot and after a while everything should work as expected.

Do you have an idea, why my AP doesnt know the "setenv " command?
Also, what tftp software do you recommend?

@W3isserWolf i’ve appended the instructions a bit. For Linux you could use dnsmasq or atftp or something else. But flashing the AP doesn’t require Linux. You should be able to do the same on Windows or macOS.

Regarding the missing setenv, i would guess you might took a wrong turn somewhere in the prossess? But without further details i’ve got no idea.

1 „Gefällt mir“

I have found the reason why the setenv wasnt working. I was in the wrong shell. After i have got in the boot (PRI) Shell, it worked. Thanks for the answer. Now i have the AP working with OpenWRT.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Hi. I have tried both this explanation as also the offical openwrt product page method but I get stuck trying to transfer sysupgrade image to /tmp folder.

I cannot manage to get the AP to get IP from either the router or direct pc connection using tftpd64 with dhcp server.

Neither ethernet port gets an IP and with winscp tryng to transfer in scp protocol to 192.168.1.1 doesn’t detect a host.

What am I doing wrong? Tried with both snapshot and release initframs and not getting away with that.

I have found the solution. The firmware by default uses ipv6 dhcp and my network is ipv4, had to use ubuntu to gain access to device and change that setting. Hope this helps to future issues for people with ipv4.

1 „Gefällt mir“

Hello,
I am new to Linux, I am also getting setenv not working error
I am using gnome terminal,
When I am logging in to the router, via serial pwd command shows /flash/home/admin directory,
I do not know how to get to correct shell, can you explain?

Thanks in advance

I think I bricked my AP’s (2 of them)

saveenv
command did not worked, meaning it was timing out and retrying indefinitely, so I turned off the power,
now as I understand, existing firmware is deleted, but openwrt is not flushed to it,
Yellow light is showing up and that’s it,
Any idea how to force flash?

I opened one and has 4 pin serial cable connector,
I remember I used that connector for my current linksys router and managed to recover it, but I cant find any procedure for ws-ap3825i